Thursday, May 12, 2005

In Search Of Bluebells

Bluebells In Middleton Woods

Bluebell Woods

Last year at this time, I hiked with the Thursday Ramblers in two different locations known for their bluebell woods. This year we walked the same routes. On May 5 we hiked from Ilkley into Middleton Woods. This was where I first caught a glimpse of the bluebells in their prime. One year later, the sight of the glorious carpet of bluebells on the woodland floor still took my breath away. Today we hiked from the village of Leathley into a nearby bluebell woods. Some of the veteran hikers bemoaned the fact that the bluebells in this particular wood seemed to have diminished in number. I, however, was still awestruck. And the great thing about these two hikes is that once you go through the bluebell woods there are still many other sights to captivate the eye: quaint cottages, fields full of cows, sheep and lambs. Horses atop a hill commanding a spendid view of the surrounding countryside. Country churches of stone and wood. Yes, if I lived here permanently I would make the bluebell pilgrimage annually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home