Thursday, April 08, 2004

A Long Walk Near Spofforth

Today we took a hike near the village of Spofforth, about five miles outside of Harrogate. This hike, unlike the last two, was mostly on level ground. We still managed to get a good workout as we walked about seven miles and near the end had to negotiate some electric fences. I'd have to say this was one of the least inspiring walks I've been on. We walked past one farmer's field after another after another. Boring scenery. At one point we did pass some wonderfully shaped boulders, reminiscent of the glacier carved rocks of Brimham, but that was the only highlight of this ramble. Spofforth itself was absolutely charming. Despite being quite a small village it has a lovely old stone church and the ruins of a medieval castle. We had lunch at the aptly named Castle Inn where I had a rather tasty coronation chicken sandwich.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home