Thursday, August 26, 2004

A Drive Through the Dales

Today I passed another milestone in my efforts to take on the roads of North Yorkshire. I took a visitor on a drive through some little towns and villages in Wharfedale. I was driving on one of those "B" roads, the kind that are so narrow there is not enough room for a white line in the middle of the road. There seems barely enough room for two cars to fit side by side. I drove from Harrogate over to Bolton Abbey, where we walked among the ruins of a 12th-century abbey in a beautiful setting along the River Wharfe. Then I drove north through some very pretty little villages: Kilnsey, Burnsall, Kettlewell, Starbotton. At Buckden we stopped and had lunch at The Buck Inn. It had been rated as an excellent pub but I thought it was just okay. After lunch we headed over to Grassington for a stroll and a bit of shopping. Grassington is the quintessential picturesque Dales village with its cobblestoned market square and quaint shops and tea rooms.

I'm so thrilled at my accomplishment. I think I'm ready to take on more dales in Yorkshire. Look out Wensleydale, Swaledale, Malhamdale, here I come. All my friends and family, if you are reading this, come on over. I'm ready to take you for a drive through the dales!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home