Friday, December 10, 2004

Run-up to Christmas

Hustle. Bustle. Busy, busy, busy. Getting ready for Christmas. We bought our Christmas tree last weekend at Harlow Carr garden shop. Gave us a chance to try out the brand new Bettys Cafe that just opened there. Decorated the tree a couple of nights ago while sipping Pimms No. 3 Brandy Cup (it's a special winter version with a hint of oranges and winter spices, very tasty alternative to eggnog.) Still working on my Christmas cards. Have wrapped and mailed all the packages for overseas. Still need to wrap Brad's presents. Need to pick up a few gifty-wifties this weekend -- one is a hostess gift for some folks who are throwing a party this Saturday night. Then Tuesday is Brad's office Christmas luncheon. We will be doing a Secret Santa gift exchange, so Brad and I each need to pick up a $10 gift for that. Buying it on the economy will be a bit of a challenge. The value of our good ole U.S. dollar continues to plummet so that now the exchange rate is almost $2 to every single pound sterling. Finding a decent gift for five pounds is not an easy thing to do. Maybe we'll find something at the Edwardian Christmas market being held in Knaresborough this Sunday.

Last Saturday we attended the base Christmas party, a big glitzy affair held at one of the grand old hotels in Harrogate. We got all doo-dadded up and spent the evening chit-chatting with folks I see about once a year. It was a buffet this year, and the food was just mediocre. And, scandalously, no chocolate desserts! I really hate buffets. I don't like having to choose what I will eat while standing in line with impatient people behind me. I couldn't tell what half the dishes were, there were no labels and when I inquired the servers hadn't a clue either. One thing I will say for these parties, they do give away a lot of door prizes (hence the hefty 28 pound price tag per dinner, and it was a cash bar!). I won a door prize -- a beautiful crystal vase from Tuscany! I'll add it to my vase collection.

Ginger is doing quite well these days. No more throwing up. No more diarrhea. He looks as if he is feeling much better. Yesterday I found him in the kitchen playing, kittenlike, with one of his toys. One test remains, however. The vet wants me to try to get a urine specimen. She gave me a plastic scoopy-thing for collecting the urine. and suggests leaving an empty litter tray...or if I can possibly catch it in mid-stream. We shall see....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home