I finally caught a glimpse of the snake of Arisugawa Park. I've heard several eyewitness accounts of the snake, but never seen it myself, despite all the time I've spent there while walking Taffy. Today I was walking through the park and had stopped by the pond at the bottom of the hill to take in the scene. There were the usual fishermen casting their lines into the pond. Our resident egret was wading in the water as a bright orange carp glided by. Then I heard a strange call from one of the jungle crows. I looked up to see the bird attacking a snake! The snake was about 4-5 feet long and curled up on some thin branches of a tree. The crow had grabbed the snake's tail in its beak and was pulling on it with all his might. Another crow joined in the attack. The snake began to jab its head at one crow, then the other. This went on for a few seconds and as the crows changed positions some of the thin branches the snake was resting on began to crack, then broke off altogether, sending the snake hurtling to the ground. I watched with fascination, making a mental note of thanks that I hadn't been walking under that branch when it gave way. The snake slithered away underneath some bushes near the pond and the crows gave up the attack. It was a remarkable scene to be witness to -- I was amazed no one else in the park took notice.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home