Now Reading...
I'm nearly finished reading Life of Pi, a marvelous novel by Yann Martel about an Indian boy (from India, not America) who is stranded in the Pacific Ocean on a lifeboat with some rather unlikely companions. The whole story, in fact, is full of preposterous incidences (and coincidences). The narration is so amiable and enchanting, however, that I've had no problem whatsoever accepting the unbelievable situations Pi finds himself in. Pi (real name Piscine Molitor Patel) is the son of a zookeeper, and woven through the book are many fascinating, though oftentimes horrifying, accounts of animal behavior. If you can't bear to read about animals getting hurt, then do not read this book. I have found many passages to be incredibly painful to read, but at the same time I find it difficult to put the book down. In addition to the insights on animal behavior, the book presents some thoughtful passages on religious beliefs and the human condition. The rewards of this book far outweigh the painful bits. I highly recommend it.
I'm nearly finished reading Life of Pi, a marvelous novel by Yann Martel about an Indian boy (from India, not America) who is stranded in the Pacific Ocean on a lifeboat with some rather unlikely companions. The whole story, in fact, is full of preposterous incidences (and coincidences). The narration is so amiable and enchanting, however, that I've had no problem whatsoever accepting the unbelievable situations Pi finds himself in. Pi (real name Piscine Molitor Patel) is the son of a zookeeper, and woven through the book are many fascinating, though oftentimes horrifying, accounts of animal behavior. If you can't bear to read about animals getting hurt, then do not read this book. I have found many passages to be incredibly painful to read, but at the same time I find it difficult to put the book down. In addition to the insights on animal behavior, the book presents some thoughtful passages on religious beliefs and the human condition. The rewards of this book far outweigh the painful bits. I highly recommend it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home