Thursday, August 18, 2005

Kettlewell Scarecrow Festival

Churchyard Gardener

Petrol Station Attendant

Kettlewell is a quaint and cozy little village in Wharfedale. Every year the good villagers of Kettlewell hold a scarecrow festival for ten days in August. I wasn't sure what to expect when I drove across the moors, on past Grassington and up to Kettlewell (and this was me driving all by myself on these narrow roads. I even took a wrong turn and got on one of those single track roads with drystone walls on either side!) but I was not disappointed. There were scarecrows around every corner, on windowsills and in gardens, in churchyards and on telephone poles. There was even one hanging by its neck in a tree. Some of them were goofy, others sweetly traditional. Some made biting political statements. Others were bawdy. You could tell the whole town put its heart and soul into the project. At first I was amazed at how many people showed up in Kettlewell on Wednesday for the festival. After walking through the town I understood why. The festival is probably the best marketing Kettlewell could ever hope for. By following the scarecrow trail I saw much more of the village than I ever saw on a brief visit one day last spring.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lenora,

If you are interested in scarecrow festivals, you need to come to the Wirral at the end of June and early July - to Thornton Hough in particular where a scarecrow festival is held every year, often with a theme to it (motorists have been known to panic as they speeded past a pair of scarecrow speed cops!!). Have a look at this website: http://www.englandwide.co.uk/thorntonhough/scarecrow.shtml
which even contains a link to a Japanese scarecrow festival - I know you hold Japan in your heart.

Regards.

John

5:13 PM  
Blogger lenora said...

Hi John!

Thanks for the info on Wirral festival. I'll go check out that link you provided.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home