Saturday, April 01, 2006

Saturday Morning Drive

Phone Box Line-up
PHONE BOX LINE-UP

Flooding on the Stray
FLOODING ON THE STRAY

I had grand plans of driving all the way to Whitby by myself today. I got up early and was ready to head out the door a little past 8 a.m. Despite the sunny weather forecast by three websites and the BBC, it was pouring down rain. I decided to go anyhow, thinking, ahhh, it's just a passing spring shower. The rain got heavier and heavier the further along the road I got. I finally pulled in and took refuge at the North York Moors National Park Visitor Centre at Sutton Bank between Thirsk and Helmsley. While there I picked up info on the crosses of the North York Moors and the Farndale daffodils. All this was in preparation for a visit from my brother next week. We'll be spending time in London and Stratford-upon-Avon (where we will see Romeo and Juliet performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company), but I do hope we'll have time for an excursion to Whitby and the North York Moors. As I drove home, the skies cleared -- of course! All was not lost, though. To my utter fascination, I passed by a mechanic's yard filled with old and decaying phone boxes, lamp posts and post boxes. I pulled off to the side of the road for a half-hour photo shoot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home