Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back in the Swing

My good friend Becky called me the other day and asked me if I was ready to jump back into freelancing again. She and I used to work together as typesetters way back when. She now works out of her house doing freelance design and production. She said one of her clients called about a big project that she might not have time for. Rather than turn it down she offered to bring me in on the project. I'd work on her desktop mac at her house while she works on her laptop. After a few seconds hesitation I said heck yeah!

This morning we went to Tide Point to meet with the client. Tide Point is actually in Locust Point, an area along the harbor that has seen some recent development. This blue collar neighborhood surrounded by industry and ship yards and home to Fort McHenry is blooming into a hip business district. It is called Tide Point because it is the site of the old Procter and Gamble soap factory. The buildings are named after soap products. Our meeting was in the Cascade building. From the meeting room we had wonderful views of the harbor and I noticed we were directly across from Fells Point and the building where I worked in when I was with Top Banana.

The project is a good one for me to get started on. I'm creating new Quark documents based on a client-supplied Quark template. Pretty much of a no-brainer.

After the meeting Becky and I had lunch at Nick's Seafood Grill, another establishment right on the water. It's a huge restaurant surrounded by wooden decks. In nice weather you can sit outside. If you had a boat you could sail right up to Nick's. Becky says they have live bands playing on the weekends.

Another plus...Becky showed me a neat way to get into the city. You simply get onto Ritchie Highway and stay on it. You go over the Hanover Street bridge, stay on Hanover street, then eventually get on Charles Street. From there you go up Chuck into the city. Cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home