Another Christmas in Tokyo and it was a merry one. I've been really busy this month and the time has just flown by. I can hardly believe that Christmas is almost over. At least in Tokyo.
We had quite a collection of presents under our little tree, and even our critters were remembered by Santa-san. Brad and I agreed that our big gift to each other would be a framed Ukiyo-e print, which we still need to shop for. But we also gave each other a couple of "little" gifts. Brad gave me a fantastic antique glass jar. We had seen them in an antique shop in Shimokitazawa and I fell in love with them. It has a wonderful globular shape and is made of hand blown glass. We found out these glass jars were used in senbei shops to hold the rice crackers that were for sale. Not sure what I will keep in my glass jar, but I'm sure I'll think of something. Brad also gave me a beautiful lacquer tray that I have been admiring every time we browse through Matsuzakaya dept. store. I gave Brad a wooden netsuke that is carved in the shape of a rat (his chinese zodiac sign) on top of a lucky gourd. I also gave him a new movie guide that he has been hankering for. After breakfast and gifts, we headed out to Kabuki-za and caught a one-act Kabuki dance/drama. It's the first time either of has been to a Kabuki performance, so this was a good introduction. Only one hour long and with dancing (sort of) and music. Rather melodramatic but I loved the costumes and even enjoyed the music, though must admit it was a bit strange. After Kabuki we browsed through some of the dept. stores looking at the elaborate Christmas decorations. We went out for dinner at Blue Sky, a Chinese restaurant on the 17th floor of the New Otani Hotel. It is one of those revolving restaurants and we enjoyed a fantastic view of the city as we dined on delicious Chinese fare. I'm really tired now and feel like crawling into bed but will wait up so we can make some calls to folks in Maryland, Florida and Ohio. We spoke earlier with Vince and Jody and they told us all about the gifts they gave to JL and Brenda, but I won't reveal any secrets here as Christmas has just begun back home.
We had quite a collection of presents under our little tree, and even our critters were remembered by Santa-san. Brad and I agreed that our big gift to each other would be a framed Ukiyo-e print, which we still need to shop for. But we also gave each other a couple of "little" gifts. Brad gave me a fantastic antique glass jar. We had seen them in an antique shop in Shimokitazawa and I fell in love with them. It has a wonderful globular shape and is made of hand blown glass. We found out these glass jars were used in senbei shops to hold the rice crackers that were for sale. Not sure what I will keep in my glass jar, but I'm sure I'll think of something. Brad also gave me a beautiful lacquer tray that I have been admiring every time we browse through Matsuzakaya dept. store. I gave Brad a wooden netsuke that is carved in the shape of a rat (his chinese zodiac sign) on top of a lucky gourd. I also gave him a new movie guide that he has been hankering for. After breakfast and gifts, we headed out to Kabuki-za and caught a one-act Kabuki dance/drama. It's the first time either of has been to a Kabuki performance, so this was a good introduction. Only one hour long and with dancing (sort of) and music. Rather melodramatic but I loved the costumes and even enjoyed the music, though must admit it was a bit strange. After Kabuki we browsed through some of the dept. stores looking at the elaborate Christmas decorations. We went out for dinner at Blue Sky, a Chinese restaurant on the 17th floor of the New Otani Hotel. It is one of those revolving restaurants and we enjoyed a fantastic view of the city as we dined on delicious Chinese fare. I'm really tired now and feel like crawling into bed but will wait up so we can make some calls to folks in Maryland, Florida and Ohio. We spoke earlier with Vince and Jody and they told us all about the gifts they gave to JL and Brenda, but I won't reveal any secrets here as Christmas has just begun back home.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home