On Friday I received a call from Atsuko. She is having an exhibit of her dog photos at a local petshop and wanted to know if I could help her hang the pictures. I met Atsuko about two and a half years ago, shortly after moving into our apt. I kept running into her at Arisugawa Park while I was walking Taffy. Everytime I saw her she was walking a different dog. We struck up a conversation one day and I discovered she is a dog walker. She also takes dog portraits which she produces in calendar form each year. I designed calendars for her two years in a row. This latest experience with Atsuko reminded me of why, despite the fact that she's a very nice person, I do not like working with her.
She pleaded with me on the phone Friday to help her. She asked if I could meet her at the pet shop on Saturday at 10 a.m. The shop (and her exhibit) would open at 11:30 that day. Well, I really didn't have any plans on Saturday, Brad was scheduled to go golfing, so I said sure I'd help her. The pet shop is tucked away in a little corner of Nishi Azabu. It's got a typical Japanese name: Pet & Pet, Natural and Health. It's a cute little shop that apparently sells health food for dogs and cats. They also have an impressive array of pet accessories and toys. In one corner they even have a little cafe where they serve coffee, tea and cakes. You can even order milk and a biscuit for your dog.
Atsuko's photos were to go on the two walls of the cafe area. She had arrived with three huge shopping bags full of framed prints. Once the shopowner arrived and let us in we removed the prints from the bags and I began planning where to hang the prints. It was going to be a tight squeeze, but Atsuko was adamant that every print should be hung. I lined the prints up against the walls where I suggested they should hang, alternating vertical and horizontal formats, large and small prints, etc. Almost all of the prints were very dark and underexposed (or poorly processed). They were in black frames with black or dark gray mats. Some of the photos were engaging but overall I am still not that impressed with her skills as a photographer. The frames were a bit on the cheap side -- some of them were actually falling apart. And the main print (according to Atsuko) was not even covered with glass. Atsuko had not brung a ruler or level to help in hanging the prints. She had a package of push pins on which we hung the prints in a haphazard manner. I kept trying to express my ideas about the arrangement of the prints and she kept shaking her head in bewilderment. She can barely speak any proper English and my Japanese is much worse.
I was beginning to think the whole thing was an ill-conceived disaster, but lo and behold, when we were done and I stepped back to look, the prints were quite impressive. The arrangement looked neat and balanced. Atsuko fussed abit about the lighting and then we sat down for some tea and slices of chocolate cake that she had brought for the occasion. She insisted that I pick out a cat toy to bring home for Ginger. I chose a cute little purple elephant with dangly legs. I warned Atsuko that Ginger doesn't seem to care much for store-bought toys and true to form he is ignoring the purple elephant, even though it is stuffed with catnip!
She pleaded with me on the phone Friday to help her. She asked if I could meet her at the pet shop on Saturday at 10 a.m. The shop (and her exhibit) would open at 11:30 that day. Well, I really didn't have any plans on Saturday, Brad was scheduled to go golfing, so I said sure I'd help her. The pet shop is tucked away in a little corner of Nishi Azabu. It's got a typical Japanese name: Pet & Pet, Natural and Health. It's a cute little shop that apparently sells health food for dogs and cats. They also have an impressive array of pet accessories and toys. In one corner they even have a little cafe where they serve coffee, tea and cakes. You can even order milk and a biscuit for your dog.
Atsuko's photos were to go on the two walls of the cafe area. She had arrived with three huge shopping bags full of framed prints. Once the shopowner arrived and let us in we removed the prints from the bags and I began planning where to hang the prints. It was going to be a tight squeeze, but Atsuko was adamant that every print should be hung. I lined the prints up against the walls where I suggested they should hang, alternating vertical and horizontal formats, large and small prints, etc. Almost all of the prints were very dark and underexposed (or poorly processed). They were in black frames with black or dark gray mats. Some of the photos were engaging but overall I am still not that impressed with her skills as a photographer. The frames were a bit on the cheap side -- some of them were actually falling apart. And the main print (according to Atsuko) was not even covered with glass. Atsuko had not brung a ruler or level to help in hanging the prints. She had a package of push pins on which we hung the prints in a haphazard manner. I kept trying to express my ideas about the arrangement of the prints and she kept shaking her head in bewilderment. She can barely speak any proper English and my Japanese is much worse.
I was beginning to think the whole thing was an ill-conceived disaster, but lo and behold, when we were done and I stepped back to look, the prints were quite impressive. The arrangement looked neat and balanced. Atsuko fussed abit about the lighting and then we sat down for some tea and slices of chocolate cake that she had brought for the occasion. She insisted that I pick out a cat toy to bring home for Ginger. I chose a cute little purple elephant with dangly legs. I warned Atsuko that Ginger doesn't seem to care much for store-bought toys and true to form he is ignoring the purple elephant, even though it is stuffed with catnip!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home