Sunday, December 26, 2004

Boxing Day

Another very cold day. We took a walk into town hoping to go shopping for bargains but there were only three stores open: WHSmith, Debenhams and TK Maxx. I guess it's because Boxing Day fell on a Sunday this year. Normally most stores would be busy with after-Christmas sales. Those sales will start tomorrow, while some stores will not be open until Wednesday.

Yesterday was a picture-perfect Christmas with a light dusting of snow in the morning. Brad went in to work from 11 to 1 to help serve food to the folks that had to work on Christmas Day. Before leaving he prepared some mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes and stuffing to bring along for the feast. In the meantime I went to work on our Christmas feast, a carbon copy of last year's meal minus the sauerkraut (turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce). It may not be the most healthy of meals and is an old-fashioned menu but mmmmmmm I love it. We will be eating leftovers for a week, I'm sure.

We watched the Queen's Message at 3 p.m., an annual event that has spawned alternative messages on another channel. This year's alternative message was from Marge Simpson. It appears The Simpsons are wildly popular in the UK. We watched the British Comedy Awards the other night and The Simpsons picked up the award for best International Comedy Show. Simpsons' creator Matt Groening was also presented with an award (to a thunderous standing ovation) for Outstanding Contribution. Brad and I could really identify with Groening's comments: "I've never been in a room with so many famous people I never heard of, nor failed to understand so many jokes." Stephen Hawking presented the award to Groening and took the opportunity to relate how much he likes the show. You Simpsons aficionados will know that Stephen Hawking made a "guest appearance" on the Simpsons recently and word is that he will become a regular when he moves to Springfield in the upcoming season.

In the evening we watched the first Harry Potter movie on BBC1, then a new Christmas episode of The Vicar of Dibley and I caught the end of a special episode of Absolutely Fabulous before toddling off to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home