Budapest: Day Four
MUSEUM OF APPLIED ARTS
The day couldn't have gotten off to a worse start. We were on our way to visit the Museum of Applied Arts. Somewhere, sometime along the way, I got pickpocketed. Arrrghhh. What anger and anguish I went through when I discovered I'd been robbed. I'm pretty sure it happened while we were changing trains at the Deak Ferenc Ter subway station. I was wearing a shoulder strap purse. I usually have it slung over my head across my shoulder and in front of me, but I had allowed the purse to sling behind me. The thief undid the latch and snitched my wallet. You don't want to know how much money I was foolishly carrying with me. As a seasoned traveler, I should know better. I've had such good luck for so long I guess I let my guard down. At least I keep my credit card and my I.D. card separate and they were safe.
I was in a bit of a haze as we went through the museum. I remember a huge Art Nouveau building. It was white and ornate as a wedding cake. The roof tiles were colorful. We saw some exquisite ceramics on one floor, mostly art nouveau style. On another floor was a temporary art exhibit of wooden sculptures with moving parts. Our guide books led us to believe the musuem's collection was much more extensive. There wasn't much of a gift shop or cafe either.
Later that day we took a tour of the Opera House. It was in a magnifcent neo-Renaissance building. Inside every surface was decorated with paint and gilt. The wood and marble were both from Italy. They used Sicilian oak as it is said to be strong and free of knots and other imperfections. (Isn't it good, Sicilian wood?) We saw the Royal Box where the Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Elizabeth (aka Sissi) used to sit. What a magnificent view they had. The stage was all set for the evening's performance of Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte. We had hoped to get tickets, but they were all sold out.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home