Flasby Fell


Today was a record breaker...the warmest day ever in October in Great Britain (at least since they began keeping records in 1880). I went hiking today just north of Skipton and it was apparent that I and my fellow ramblers were not quite trusting of the weather forecasts we had tuned in to this morning. We all set out with light jackets and windbreakers on. Before an hour had passed by we were stripping off our outer garments and stuffing them in backpacks or wrapping them round our waists. We hiked from a pub called the Craven Heifer Inn towards Flasby Fell. I chuckled at the name "Craven Heifer" -- what, is it a "cowardly" cow? But, as it turns out, Craven is a local government district centered around Skipton. The word Craven derives from the Welsh word "craf" which means garlic. It seems in the middle ages the Skipton area was known for its wild garlic. But I was concerned when I heard the word "fell." I knew then I was in for a challenge. The word "fell" means a treelees mountain landscape shaped by glaciers. And sure enough, we did a fair amount of climbing today. It was the most strenuous hike I think I've been on yet. Oh, but the weather really made it all worthwhile. The view from atop Flasby Fell was magnificent. We got a little bit lost after we left the Fell and ended up backtracking and climbing even more slopes. We returned to the Craven Heifer around 2 p.m. tired, thirsty and hungry. Luckily they serve food all day. It was nice enough to sit outside. The food was great, the staff friendly and accommodating and they served some of the very best chips I've ever had in the UK.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home