Thursday, April 13, 2006

Across the Moors:
from Nidderdale to Wharfedale

Nidderdale Landscape
VIEW OF NIDDERDALE FROM BRIMHAM ROCKS

At Brimham Rocks
DWARFED BY BRIMHAM ROCKS

vince.33
ON THE FOOTPATH FROM GRASSINGTON TO LINTON FALLS


I abandoned my plan to visit Whitby this morning after listening to the news. The newscasters stated that traffic would be at record levels as today (Maundy Thursday) is the most heavily trafficked day of the Easter holiday weekend. The weather report wasn't much better: strong winds with gale force gusts were predicted. I didn't fancy driving up to the coast in such weather.

I chose, instead, to make a drive across the moors from Nidderdale to Wharfedale -- a more local destination. The change in plans allowed us to make a stop in town to purchase film for my Leica camera. Vince suggested dropping the film off at a 20-minute photo shop in town and having them put the photos on a CD.

Our first stop was Brimham Rocks, one of my favorite places to take people. As predicted, it was extremely windy but the site was beautiful as ever. As we were making our way along the path between the fantastical rock formations a jet plane flew overhead. It was flying very very low and we both nearly hit the dirt as it passed noisily overhead.

From Brimham I took the scenic drive over to Appletreewick and we had lunch at New Inn. Lunch was tasty as usual at the New Inn and Vince had a chance to hear some authentic Yorkshire accents. Vince had vegetable soup and I had a jacket potato with creamed mushrooms.

From Appletreewick I drove over to Grassington, another favorite destination. We took the footpath over to Linton Falls and toured the 12th-century church in Linton Falls. By this time it had become very cold, windy and rainy. While we were in the church it hailed. Because of the dreadful weather we decided to head back home rather than walk through the village of Grassington. I stopped off at the base to get gas and check mail. We saw a pale but pretty rainbow on way home on the A59. I stypped off in Harrogate and we got the film processed onto CD. We had coffee at Milan's while the film was being processed. The pics turned out pretty darn good and it only cost £2 to have them put on a CD. Once home, we each took a nap. This touring business is tiring stuff!

We went to Ali Raj for dinner that night. I'd never been there before but it was recommended by a friend. The recommendation turned out to be spot on. We had a delicious dinner there. Vince had some kind of curry (I forget exactly what he had) and I had my favorite dish: Sag Tikka Chicken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home