Walkabout Bloomsbury

THE WORLD'S SMALLEST HOTEL ROOM

VAN GOGH'S BEDROOM IN ARLES

AT THE BRITISH MUSEUM
We have checked into our rooms now. The tiniest room I think I've ever stayed in. It reminds me of the painting Van Gogh did of his room in Arles, but I think he had more room. My room is neat and clean, though, and I've plenty of space to store my clothes and suitcase. The bathroom has stylish modern features. The staff at Harlingford Hotel are quite friendly. The breakfast room is cozy and inviting; we shall discover tomorrow what breakfast fare is like.
After checking in, we took a walk over to Russell Square and had a lite bite to eat at a cafe in the square. Vince had a tasty Margherita pizza; I had a delicious apple tart and we each had a nummy cappucino. What a fine day it is! Cool and breezy and lovely sunshine and blue skies. It is hot in every building we go inside and so refreshing when we step back outside. Bloomsbury is an attractive neighborhood; we've been enjoying the architecture and have popped into a few shops here and there. We spent a good hour at the British Museum. Saw the Elgin marbles and other treasures from all over the world. Discussed how odd it is to wander through a museum that is basically full of plundered art. The most incredible coincidence occurred at the British Museum. Vince ran into a woman he had met in SF on the way to the airport. They both took the same Virgin Atlantic flight over to Heathrow. And they are both due to fly out on the very same flight a week from this Sunday.
After the British Museum we took a break at another cafe. Vince was hoping to find someplace that would serve an Italian soda but I think that is a California thing. I don't recall ever seeing Italian soda on a menu in the UK. We settled for an Orangina. By this time Vince was ready to go back to the hotel and take a nap, but I wouldn't let him. I convinced him to walk over to the British Library instead. We only spent a short amount of time there. His jet lag (and my fatigue) has really begun to set in and we just didn't have the energy to devote to the treasures gallery. We decided to make this brief stop at the internet cafe. We will head back to the hotel after this stop then plan to go to a Thai restaurant for dinner.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home