Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!
This past Friday, we joined our landlord and landlady, Paul and Ann, for a visit to the Coach and Horses pub. They go there nearly every week to meet friends for a few drinks and then usually go out to dinner afterwards. The Coach and Horses is a rather nice pub – at least what I could see of it. It was really mobbed. We managed to commandeer a table in the corner for ourselves, but it wasn’t long before it was standing room only. I sampled a few local Yorkshire ales (I love ordering the half pints; they're just the right size for me!). And I watched in awe as Paul sucked back one after another after another pint of Tetleys' bitter. (It's a good thing we can walk to the pub.) Paul and Ann are just a few years older than Brad and myself. They used to own and operate a few pubs in the area. They no longer own the pubs, but still maintain a few rental properties. They told us about their recent trip to Lincoln, southeast of Harrogate. They drove there last weekend with their caravan (trailer) to attend a concert of 60s music artists. Gerry Marsden, of Gerry and the Pacemakers was there, as well as the Four Tops (only one original member) and several other icons of the era. I let out that I’m a big Beatles fan and Paul and Ann told me then that I simply must take the bus tour to Liverpool and see all the Beatles sites. And I should book ahead for the Bootleg Beatles concert – an annual event in Harrogate. Well, I really would love to go to Liverpool and even though we are close enough to drive or take a bus there, I'd much rather fly. You see, it turns out that the airport in Liverpool was recently renamed John Lennon Airport. The aiport's slogan is "Above us only sky." And, if I go to Liverpool, I can visit Mendips, the boyhood home of John Lennon. Or I can go to 20 Forthlin Road, the home where Paul McCartney grew up. Both homes are now National Trust sites.
This past Friday, we joined our landlord and landlady, Paul and Ann, for a visit to the Coach and Horses pub. They go there nearly every week to meet friends for a few drinks and then usually go out to dinner afterwards. The Coach and Horses is a rather nice pub – at least what I could see of it. It was really mobbed. We managed to commandeer a table in the corner for ourselves, but it wasn’t long before it was standing room only. I sampled a few local Yorkshire ales (I love ordering the half pints; they're just the right size for me!). And I watched in awe as Paul sucked back one after another after another pint of Tetleys' bitter. (It's a good thing we can walk to the pub.) Paul and Ann are just a few years older than Brad and myself. They used to own and operate a few pubs in the area. They no longer own the pubs, but still maintain a few rental properties. They told us about their recent trip to Lincoln, southeast of Harrogate. They drove there last weekend with their caravan (trailer) to attend a concert of 60s music artists. Gerry Marsden, of Gerry and the Pacemakers was there, as well as the Four Tops (only one original member) and several other icons of the era. I let out that I’m a big Beatles fan and Paul and Ann told me then that I simply must take the bus tour to Liverpool and see all the Beatles sites. And I should book ahead for the Bootleg Beatles concert – an annual event in Harrogate. Well, I really would love to go to Liverpool and even though we are close enough to drive or take a bus there, I'd much rather fly. You see, it turns out that the airport in Liverpool was recently renamed John Lennon Airport. The aiport's slogan is "Above us only sky." And, if I go to Liverpool, I can visit Mendips, the boyhood home of John Lennon. Or I can go to 20 Forthlin Road, the home where Paul McCartney grew up. Both homes are now National Trust sites.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home