A Brief Blizzard
We woke up to snow on the ground. The traffic reports coming in on the radio were alarming. They said cars were slip-sliding away on the roads and there were fender benders here and there. Yuck. And I had to go to base to get my new driver's permit, put a stop on my bank card and then pick Ginger up. Luckily, by the time I was ready to leave, the sun had come out and the snow was beginning to melt. Traffic moved at a very slow pace on the untreated roads but I arrived at base without incident. It was amazingly easy to get a replacement for the driver's permit that had been in my stolen wallet and there had been no attempt to use my stolen bank card. What a relief. But by the time I had taken care of those administrative details and was on the road to the cattery it had begun to snow again. The wind was raging and the snow was coming down thickly. I was nearly in white-out conditions and very scared. The wind was whipping across the moors. Wherever there was a break in the drystone walls next to the road, drifts of snow were blown onto the roadway. I saw a few sheep huddled in a field, all covered with snow. Even though I was white-knuckling my way down the road, I was really wishing I had my camera with me. The moors are quite lovely covered in snow and, truthfully, it doesn't snow that much here. I climbed the last steep hill near the cattery without much slippage and gathered Ginger up for the ride home. By the time we reached Harrogate the snow had turned to rain and the wind had died down. But for all I knew it could still have been blizzard conditions back up there on the moors.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home