Sunday, September 04, 2005

Berkeley Springs to Glen Burnie

We spent the morning in Berkeley Springs. The place has certainly changed from the last time I visited, god knows how many years ago. There are several new establishments in town: a wonderful book store/weaver's shop/stationers, great antiques mall and a few cafes and other shops. We browsed the farmer's market, strolled through the Berkeley Springs museum and shopped at the antiques mall and book shop. The museum was interesting though could definitely use some improvements. There are no major explanatory signs or literature about the museum and its collection. The displays were a bit amateurish and haphazard. Even so, I learned a few things: George Washington owned property in Berkeley Springs. B.S. was originally called the town of Bath. There used to be a thriving tomato canning industry and annual tomato festival in Morgan County.

We went back to the cabin for another delicious lunch (grilled chicken, green salad with pistachios, tomatoes and mozzarella), relaxed on the deck for a bit then packed up for the drive home. We got back to Balmer around 6:30 p.m. and I jumped right in the car and drove over to JoAnn's place where I'll be staying till I leave on Wednesday. JoAnn had a nice spread of cold cuts, potato salad and tomatoes and mozzarella (no, I'm not getting tired of them. they are delicious and it's something we can't get at this level of quality in England) waiting for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home