Wednesday, September 25, 2002

I've become involved with another volunteer women's organization: The College Women's Association of Japan. This organization has a totally different focus and membership than DigitalEve Japan. CWAJ's main mission is to provide scholarships, mostly for Japanese women who would like to study overseas. They also promote cultural interaction. The membership are generally older women half of whom are Japanese; the other half a mixture of non-Japanese nationalities. DE-J has free membership and members can elect to volunteer for the organization. CWAJ membership is ¥10,000 (roughly $US100) per year and every member must take part in some kind of volunteer activity. I almost got roped into becoming their newsletter editor, but I wiggled out of that. I just didn't want to get bogged down with a print publication. I'm hoping I'll be able to help out on their website instead. They have many special interest groups, one of which is called women.com. They meet on a monthly basis to go over basic computer-related topics -- it's aimed at beginner users. There is also a reading group in which I'm very interested. I'm wishing I had joined this group earlier . . . now that our time is running short and with all the traveling we'll be doing soon, I will miss out on a lot of the CWAJ events.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home