Living Out Of A Suitcase
We turned in our keys to 9B Park Parade yesterday. The move went well but I can't believe how tiring it is to stand around in a hot house (we moved during a mini-heatwave in Harrogate) and watch three chaps pack up all your wordly belongings. We had booked three days for our household goods and with three workers the days were not that long. They finished up around 2:30 the first and second and around 1 p.m. the final day. That left us with the afternoon to ourselves. We'd walk into town for a bite to eat or run an errand or two and then head back to the house where we actually did have work left for us to do: we had to separate out things we want to mail back, things for the air shipment and things to try to sell. I worried that I would put something in the wrong pile but so far I think we did alright. On Wednesday, the last day of the move, we began the big clean-up of our house. As soon as one room became empty I vacuumed. Brad followed behind me with a carpet steam cleaner. I had already cleaned out and scrubbed up all the closets and cabinets in the house but still needed to clean all four bathrooms.
On Thursday, our last shipment was packed up. That was the small shipment that goes by air. That day the guys from the warehouse came to pick up the few items we had borrowed from the govt.: some wardrobes, washer, dryer and fridge. Brad had told me to go ahead and go hiking with my hiking group and he would take care of everything that was left to do. But when he went to get in the car it wouldn't start. He had to hoof it over to the house on foot to be there for the packers while I spent the morning getting a new battery for the car.
As it turns out, it is probably best I didn't go hiking because there was still a bit of clean-up to do and almost two more carloads of stuff to take to the recycling center. When the appliances were removed from the utility room we were left with a pretty grungy looking floor and no vacuum or mop to clean it with. I improvised with a lousy string mop from the landlord and paper towels. When the clean-up was done the house really sparkled -- it looks cleaner now than when we moved in, so I don't think the landlord will have anything to complain about.
Our temporary quarters are ok; there are a few things that are a bit disappointing (such as no coffeemaker) but all in all, it's a nice place.
Today I played mah jongg while Brad took care of things at the office. I had a good day -- I won lots of games, including the final one with a high-paying had called King Kong. The past three weeks I've brought items I couldn't move (such as booze, food, plants) and the winners of the mah jongg hands got to pick what they wanted. If I won, the high score got to pick. It was fun and added a bit of interest to the game.
Tomorrow we might go in to York for one last visit. Sunday we take Ginger to Manchester airport. Monday the Volvo ships. Tuesday we head up to the Scottish highlands. Whew, my head is spinning.
On Thursday, our last shipment was packed up. That was the small shipment that goes by air. That day the guys from the warehouse came to pick up the few items we had borrowed from the govt.: some wardrobes, washer, dryer and fridge. Brad had told me to go ahead and go hiking with my hiking group and he would take care of everything that was left to do. But when he went to get in the car it wouldn't start. He had to hoof it over to the house on foot to be there for the packers while I spent the morning getting a new battery for the car.
As it turns out, it is probably best I didn't go hiking because there was still a bit of clean-up to do and almost two more carloads of stuff to take to the recycling center. When the appliances were removed from the utility room we were left with a pretty grungy looking floor and no vacuum or mop to clean it with. I improvised with a lousy string mop from the landlord and paper towels. When the clean-up was done the house really sparkled -- it looks cleaner now than when we moved in, so I don't think the landlord will have anything to complain about.
Our temporary quarters are ok; there are a few things that are a bit disappointing (such as no coffeemaker) but all in all, it's a nice place.
Today I played mah jongg while Brad took care of things at the office. I had a good day -- I won lots of games, including the final one with a high-paying had called King Kong. The past three weeks I've brought items I couldn't move (such as booze, food, plants) and the winners of the mah jongg hands got to pick what they wanted. If I won, the high score got to pick. It was fun and added a bit of interest to the game.
Tomorrow we might go in to York for one last visit. Sunday we take Ginger to Manchester airport. Monday the Volvo ships. Tuesday we head up to the Scottish highlands. Whew, my head is spinning.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home